Tuesday 19 December 2017

Fi

When I was little and I met my cousins Fiona and Nicole I thought they were the most amazing people in the world. These girls had lived in a place where people didn't all speak English, they had amazing smiles, happy faces, were really really nice and they had a hilarious Dad and a gorgeous Mum. They were like two magical princesses and I was in complete awe.


Years later, I was still in awe of these two girls. I wanted to grow up to be just like them! Fi was gorgeous and had legs for days. Nicole was drop dead gorgeous and had a smile that would stop traffic. I was lucky enough to go to Fi's book launch when I was in Bundaberg staying with Aunts Bid and Barb. She was a real life angel in my eyes and all the things that I should want and try to be. Serious hero worship.

We bumped into each other again and again over the years at family events. Reunions, weddings and funerals. We grew up, moved, lost touch, had families, Fi moved to the UK, live continued to turn.

This year we went to the UK and I was really looking forward to seeing Fi but the timing was off and she was out of the country! More recently when her Dad had a serious health crisis Fi came back home to Australia to see him. I missed her again as I was interstate.

On Sunday, Fi and her husband took Nicole's kids to the beach. There was a rip, Fi and Alex got the kids out of the rip but Fi collapsed on the beach and didn't recover.

I will miss my gorgeous cousin and her beautiful smile. I am completely heartbroken that Nicole is without her sister, my hilarious lovely uncle and Aunty are without their earth angel, Alex has lost his beautiful brave adventurous wife. The world has lost one of the truly beautiful people. For me, Fi was right up there with Princess Diana.

I'd like to think my Mum and Dad are there with her and they are having a beautiful christmas together.


2 comments: