Saturday 11 January 2020

Life - In Nine Parts - Part One

The adventure of life is to learn. The purpose of life is to grow. The nature of life is to change. The challenge of life is to overcome. The essence of life is to care. The opportunity of life is to serve. The secret of life is to dare. The spice of life is to befriend. The beauty of life is to give. 

William Arthur Ward




The adventure of life is to learn


I have always enjoyed learning. My favourite place to be when I was a child, was school. I loved books, reading, numbers, history and science. As I grew older my passions were art, music, maths and sciences. I had a huge passion for chemistry, biology and geology. So much so that I would enter national maths and science competitions from the age of 12. In my final year of high school, I received a distinction in a national geology competition and was offered a place in a geology degree at my local university. Unfortunately, life intervened and I was not able to take up the offer.

After I liberated myself from my previous relationship and met my husband who has an equal if a not greater passion for knowledge, I started learning web design by distance education. Again life intervened and just short of my final exam for the course I was diagnosed with a brain tumour and was unable to complete the certification.

After brain surgery, I launched into a dual certificate III in Business and Business Administration to see if I would be able to remember anything long enough to be assessed. I was, and so I moved on to a certificate IV in Adult Tertiary Preparation. I scored exceptionally well in this course and applied for University to study a Bachelor of Science (Clinical Science). I realised partway through my first semester that I was struggling with Chemistry and that it was my brain not being able to make memories to remember the abstract concepts. It was heartbreaking. Again life intervened and I had to defer for 18 months. During this time I sated my desire for education with a variety of online studies. When I returned to University I transferred to a Bachelor of Psychological Science as I knew I would not be able to progress in the BSc without chemistry. I completed my BPsychSc, earned an academic achievement award and am beginning my Masters of Global Public Health in February.

My Aunt has affectionately named the MGPH - Mega Gophers Per Hour

While I wait for the Masters to start, I am studying Fundamental Neuroscience for Neuroimaging... of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment