Sunday 24 March 2019

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Quite recently I have had the strange experience of considering that I may in fact be beautiful.
Not magazine cover beautiful and not just on the inside beautiful. It sounds pretty vain to me.

I grew up thinking of myself as being ugly. I was the ugly duckling. Growing up I remember playing with other girls and I was always the evil step mother or the witch or who ever was not the beautiful (usually blonde) princess. High school was much the same, a bit like being the last kid in the class to be picked for the team.

After high school and beyond I was someones mother which somehow negated the possibility of beauty... despite the fact that my own mother was drop dead gorgeous her whole life. Someones wife. Don't get me wrong, my husband of 22 years has been telling me how beautiful I am from day one and has not stopped.

So, what changed? Strangers changed it. Recently I had a young (gorgeous) lady walk up to me out of the blue and tell me I looked beautiful. It was that simple. I was quite unwell, no make up, but I dressed up and despite how I was feeling.

It is strange that at 45 I am entertaining the idea that some people may actually really see me that way. It is also a little sad that it has taken so long.


4 comments:

  1. Preach it sister, I feel the same way and had the same experiences growing up. You are indeed beautiful inside and out. I have always thought you were beautiful, I never have thought you an ugly duckling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you beautiful. You have made me feel like a princess when you paint my face :)

      Delete
  2. Well Jules, as I have known you your whole life, I can honestly say I have always thought of you as a truly beautiful girl, but much more importantly you also have a beautiful soul. That's one of the wonderful things about getting older........your perspective changes and you become more comfortable in your own skin. It is a great feeling. Love you Gorgeous Girl. Aunty Deb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you Aunty Deb! Thank you so much for your love and encouragement. It means a lot

      Delete